TheRealDominican.com represents the online voice of Greg McMillan, a Canadian journalist/entrepreneur who lived in the Dominican Republic for seven years.
Mr. McMillan is in Canada, working on importing, consultancy, and associated services, along with new media projects.
A journalist and editor with communications and marketing expertise augmented by extensive experience in Domestic and Foreign markets, all facets of Journalism, including Teaching, New Media, Publishing, Editing and Media Relations, Writing, Art Direction, Design, Pagination and Photography.
- Communications strategist/consultant/writer
- Experienced writer/editor at Globe and Mail and Hamilton Spectator newspapers
- First Art Director for the Report on Business section in the Globe and Mail.
- First Graphics Editor for the Globe and Mail Editorial department.
- QuarkXPress, InDesign
- Published books on History of the Relations between Canada and the Dominican Republic and History of Hamilton Airport
- Online news: editor/writer/photographer
Co-founder / Canadian web portal for all things green ... news, information, business, lifestyle, opinion and trends.
Globe and Mail Editorial Department
Commissioned on an ongoing basis to produce articles and photographs. Samples available on request. Specializing in 'green' topics.
Green Building & Sustainable Strategies magazine
Managing Editor since June 2012
TheRealDominican.com / Owner
Created all text and photographs for the website.
Manor House Publishing
Commissioned to author a book about history of Hamilton Airport.
Created English-speaking internet tourism site in the Dominican Republic, including design, articles, photography and sales. This was partnered with the Canadian Consul in Puerto Plata.
Wrote business travel tourist guides about the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, and Puerto Plata for use by Yahoo.com and USAToday.
History of the Relations between Canada and the Dominican Republic
Commissioned by the Canadian Ambassador in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to produce and write a historical book; this included art direction, design, layout, editing and photography. Translations to French and Spanish included in the book.
Wrote articles and provided photography for internet magazine on news and regional information from Puerto Plata and the north coast of the Dominican Republic.
C2e Consulting and Public Relations / Toronto
Associate. Senior Writing / Communications Strategist (www.c2e.ca)
BrantNews.com / Brant News newspaper
Senior Columnist / Associate and Online Editor from 2009 to February 2010
Managing Editor of online New Media news site from November 2007 to September 2009
Laurier University / Brantford
New Media professor for journalism program beginning January, 2009.
Mc2Publishing / Owner
Produced advertorial sections that were published in the Globe and Mail by commissioning
writers and photographers, as well as personally producing art direction, design and layout.
Clients included IBM Canada, Compaq, Bell Canada, Telus, Microsoft and the Toronto Raptors.
- Art Director for Report on Business section in the Globe and Mail.
- Graphics Editor for Globe and Mail Editorial department.
- Copy Editor and Layout/Pagination Editor in the Globe and Mail Editorial department.
- Editor and Art Director of quarterly Guide to Education editorial supplement in the Globe and Mail.
- Editorial trainer and production coordinator in redesign of the Globe and Mail newspaper.
- Writer and photographer in travel, sports and entertainment sections for the Globe and Mail.
- Editor and reporter for Hamilton Spectator newspaper. Other duties at The Spectator included: Assistant District Editor, Assistant Sports Editor, Education and General Assignment Reporters, Pop Music Critic, Copy Editor, Design/Pagination Editor, sportswriter and photographer.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCEGlobe and Mail newspaper articles
English, Spanish, computers, media at private international middle schools in Dominican Republic.
Journalism: Sheridan College
Canadian representative for Roberto's Kids, a U.S. charity affiliated with baseball legend Roberto Clemente that gathers and distributes used baseball equipment to needy children in the Dominican Republic.
United Nations Association of the Dominican Republic, student advisor.
OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES AND HOBBIES
Coach and managerial capacities in Canada and the Dominican Republic: hockey, basketball, lacrosse, soccer and golf. Blues harmonica, travel, gardening, reading.
Greening in the workplace
Tale of two cities
The new Wayne Gretzky?
The Grey Ceiling (PDF version only)
Would a veteran have fumbled? (PDF version only)
The History of Relations between Canada and the Dominican Republic / A Chronicle of Images
Magazines and Advertorial
ReNew (The People Deficit)